What is Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189?
Skilled Independent Visa is a type of permanent visa that is issued by Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection to foreign individuals who wish to migrate to the island country for work. The visa is issued under Subclass 189 to immigrants who are neither sponsored by a relative or friend nor are they nominated by the State or Territory Government Office.
Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189 provides permanent residency to immigrants who wish to work in Australia. Under this visa, responsibility to find work and a place to live lies with the immigrant. The fees for the permanent visa under subclass 189 is AU$ 3600. The fees for dependent of 18 years and above is AU$ 1800 while for dependents below the age of 18 years is AU$ 900.
What is the processing time for Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189?
The application for Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189 takes about 4 months to process. This is the global processing time of 75% of the total applications received.
Benefits of Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189
Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189) is the most popular type of visa among immigrants. It offers various benefits to foreign nationals holding the visa. They are:
- Individuals can stay and work as long as they want without any restriction
- The individual and his dependents can pursue school, higher studies or vocational courses at domestic rates
- The Government also provides health care benefits
- If you stay for a certain amount of time in Australia, you can also apply for its citizenship
- Applicants also get various subsidies and social security benefits
- Being a permanent resident you can sponsor a family member or relative for a temporary or permanent stay in Australia
Key Eligibility Requirements for Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189
Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189 isn't allotted to anyone and everyone. There are certain eligibility requirements which an individual must pass in order to get an invitation for application of visa. Every single requirement carries a specific score that is awarded to the candidate. The eligibility requirements are:
- The candidate must possess a minimum score of 60 in profile evaluation. If the candidate is absolutely sure that he will score above that, only then should he proceed with the application and expression of interest.
- The applicant must have a score of at least 6 in his IELTS exam or an average of 65 in PTE Academic exam in all four abilities.
- The candidate must not be beyond the age of 50 years.
- The Candidate's qualifications and skills must have been assessed by a recognized assessing officer. The assessing authority is listed opposite to the occupations in Skilled Occupations List (SOL). This is done to assess whether a candidate possesses the skills required for the occupation he wishes to pursue.
- The application must have selected an occupation from the List of Skilled Occupations as rolled out by the Department of Immigration.
- The applicant must have three years of experience overseas in the occupation he wishes to pursue.
- The candidate must have submitted his Expression of Interest (EOI) online on Skill Select.
- The individual must be an individual of good character.
- The applicant must not have any outstanding debts. In case there are any, then he should either repay them or arrange for repayment.
- Lastly, the applicant must be in good health and not suffer from any fatal disease.
Application Process of Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189
The process of application of Skilled Independent Visa is as follows:
- Select an occupation you want to pursue in Australia from Skilled Occupations List (SOL).
- The next step is to get your skills assessed by the authority mentioned in the SOL opposite each occupation. The skills must be consistent with the occupation selected in the step above.
- Then next step is to check your English proficiency by enrolling for IELTS or PTE Academic Exam and clear it with a minimum score of 6 or 65 respectively in all its abilities.
- The candidate is then required to submit an Expression of Interest with SkillSelect. It is an online system of the Department of Immigration that helps with the migration process. An EOI has a validity of two years from the date of submission.
- After submission of EOI candidate is asked to wait until an invitation is sent to him for application of visa. It might take a month or as long as 2 years for the Department to respond.
- Upon receipt of invitation, the candidate must submit his application within the next 60 days along with all the required documents like ID proof, address proof, IELTS score, work experience certificate, skills assessment report, birth certificate etc.
The processing time of visa varies from application to application. However, visa allotment generally happens in a couple of months but that time period can extend up to 2 years. Upon expiry of 2 years the Department will contact the applicant and he will need to submit a fresh EOI if he still wishes to obtain visa.
To obtain Australia Skilled Independent Visa under Subclass 189 you can get in touch with us at Visas Assured. We are group of highly knowledgeable Immigration Consultants with years of experience. We will assist you in every step of the process and help you gather all the documents for you. Ours is a renowned name in the industry and we provide all kinds of visa consultancy services.
We have extensive knowledge of the Australian immigration under various visa sub classes, each category point system criteria and its sub classes. We will guide you throughout the process with the aim of ensuring that you cross all the hurdles and migrate to Australia at the earliest. Contact us today to fly to Australia on work visa