Do you possess certain skills and want to go to Australia to earn money? Having trouble getting permanent visa? Worry not because Australia has a policy of providing temporary work visa to foreign nationals who wish to migrate to the country in search of work. Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (Subclass 489) is a provisional visa program under which visa is granted to skilled individuals of foreign nationality for a period of 4 years. This is an invitation-only visa and is extended to individuals whose skills, abilities and experience in a particular sector are in great demand in certain specific territories of Australia.
The provisional visa is granted under subclass 489 and the applicant is allowed to live and work in either a regional territory or low-population urban area for a period of up to 4 years. There are 3 pathways through which visa is extended, viz.
- Extended stay pathway: This pathway is for applicants who have held any of the 4 provisional visas under subclass 475, 487, 495 and 496 (not more than one) and have complied with the relevant conditions for a minimum of 2 years before applying for visa under subclass 489. Under extended stay pathway if you are sponsored by a family member or relative you can live and work in any designated area of the country. However, if you are nominated by a regional territory Office, then you must live and work in that region itself.
- Invited pathway: The invited pathway is for those individuals who do not qualify for extended stay pathway. Under this scheme, the individual must live or work in a regional territory, low-population metro area or designated area of the country. Under this pathway, an individual wants to get nominated or sponsored.
- Subsequent entry pathway: This pathway is for individuals who belong to a family unit whose one of the members holds visa either under subclass 489 or any of the subclass 475, 487, 495 or 496.
Applicants holding this visa can later be extended permanent skilled visa under subclass 887.
Eligibility Requirements for Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (Subclass 489)
The Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection has laid down certain eligibility criteria for visa allotment. They are:
- The candidate must obtain at least 60 points in his profile evaluation.
- The applicant must have passed IELTS exam or PTE Academic exam with a minimum score of 6 or 65 respectively.
- The applicant’s age must not be more than 50 years.
- He must have sponsorship or nomination from his relative or regional territory office. If he doesn’t have one and needs it to complete the process, then he must apply for it.
- He must fulfill the norms of the respective pathway he is taking.
- The candidate must get his skills assessed from the recognized assessing authority whose name is mentioned in the Consolidated Skilled Occupation List (CSOL).
- He must select the occupation that he wishes to pursue in Australia from the CSOL.
- The applicant must have the necessary work experience as asked by the authorities.
- He must be an individual of good character.
- The applicant must not have any outstanding loans in his name. If he has any, then he must either repay them or arrange for repayment.
- He must have good health.
- The applicant must submit his Expression of Interest (EOI) with Skill Select.
What are the benefits of applying for Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (Subclass 489)?
Under subclass 489 visa program, applicants get various benefits. They are:
- They can stay and work in specific territory, viz. regional, designated or low-population metropolitan area for a period of 4 years
- They can travel freely throughout Australia
- Until their visa is valid they can even travel in and out of the country
- They can apply for permanent resident visa under subclass 887 if all the conditions are met
Visa Application Fees for Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (Subclass 489)
The cost of Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (Subclass 489) is AU $3,600. This is the fee charged by the Department of Immigration. The fee for dependents below the age of 18 years is AU $900 while for dependents of 18 years and above the fee is AU $1,800.
There are certain other charges that are incurred like medical examination fees to be paid directly to the doctor, police verification expenses, certification expenses etc.
What is the Visa Application Process for Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (Subclass 489)?
Before applying for visa every candidate must first go through a profile evaluation. If he passes it by scoring 60 points or more he becomes eligible to apply for visa.
- If you are below 50 years of age, then the first step is to get enrolled for IELTS or PTE Academic exam to evaluate your proficiency in English language. If your score is at least 6 or 65, you can proceed to the next step.
- The second step involves choosing the occupation you wish to pursue in Australia from the CSOL.
- The next step is to get your skills and abilities assessed from a recognized assessing officer. The skills must complement the occupation you have chosen to pursue. The assessing officer’s name is mentioned opposite relevant occupation in CSOL.
- Obtain the letter of sponsorship or nomination as required by various pathways of Subclass 489.
- Submit your Expression of Interest (EOI) online with Skill Select. It is an online software that is used by the Department of Immigration to manage its migrations. The validity of an EOI is 2 years from the date of submission.
Subsequent to submission of EOI, applicants must wait for the Department to revert back with an invitation to apply for visa. The applicant must apply for visa with relevant documents within the next 60 days. The normal processing time is 6 months for skilled regional visas and 5 months for state or territory nominated visa. However, this processing time may vary from application to application.
If you are looking forward to moving to Australia by obtaining provisional visa under subclass 489 then come to Visas Assured. We are expert consultants with years of experience. Our consultants will help you get hassle free visa by assisting you in every step of the complete process.